F Doubles Plus 1 - The Way I Teach

Doubles Plus 1

So, these sheets definitely stretch their brains and make them think beyond the rule Saxon gives:  Find your smallest number, double it, add 1.   Seems simple right?

Well I didn’t want to teach them the rule this year as I wanted them to see the meaning and the why behind doubling the smallest number.  These sheets work from the inside out. 

A teaching tip for you when doing these sheets.

Start from the equation at the bottom.  Have them build it.  Have them put their built number side by side and say, “what double do you see when I put these side by side?”   Oh my word!   Seemed simple enough but it proved difficult for some.  I do know they can see the why when doing doubles plus 1 though!


Doubles plus 1

I'm not going to say much about this unit except I made it because I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.  I do plan on having the kids build the doubles +1 flashcards with cubes. They will also play some doubles +1 games that I found on Pinterest and TPT while I was on a hunt for doubles plus 1.  It has been quite difficult helping parents understand the use of strategies in math so I hope this unit will help with the pictures.
Doubles +1



Click HERE  or on the pictures to see more  or to get the unit for $2.00

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There! Lets Keep in Touch!

* indicates required