F I am THANKFUL and We've Stabilized! - The Way I Teach

I am THANKFUL and We've Stabilized!

So this difficult situation of a classroom has stabilized or I have adjusted.  Let's just say we have met in the middle. I want to come back to address the rocky start of the year with an update.  I still have 3 Adults in the class and have learned to utilize the help I have when I can.  I have put more trust into my parent helpers and enlisted their help with Interventions.  We have worked extra hard to get kiddos up to speed due to a rocky start and over the last month I have learned to have fun with the kids! Hooray! 

I took a step back and through much reflection, I am Thankful to have been able to meet the two aides who help with 2 students. They go out of their way to help with others when they can.  I have learned to deal with the room arrangement and switched out some tables so I can have one of the aides sit at a table and help with other students  - if possible at that time.  This is how we are catching up! It all good - I GOT THIS!

I am back to finding what my kids need and addressing their needs. I ended up adding beginning sounds, same and different, and more games to a Thanksgiving unit from last year because I have a lot of English Language Learners this year and they need support in these areas as well as vocabulary building.

If you need vocabulary support but are short on time for integrated thematic type units and foundational skills these activities may help you get that accomplished.

Thanksgiving activities for Kindergarteners


I usually do Daily 3 or 4 or 5 but like I said - I have enlisted the help of parents so this coming up week I have a different parent come in every day for an hour at the same time so I will be having them help with the build a graph activities, and with the games. They wlll do 3 different graphs over 3 days. 

Same and Different

I'll be able to address the students who still need same and different and beginning sounds  with the same and different cards.  The kids will then go and show what they know on the independent activity sheets.  I think I'll have the children take turns putting clothespins on the cards for same and for different.   I am doing same one day and different on another day.  There are 10 cards total.  I can always add this to a center later.
Fall Beginning sounds

I will be using the beginning sounds cards and letters for a "Mix and Mingle" activity each day after we say each name for each picture.  Children will walk around and find the matching beginning sound. I will use the independent sheet as an assessment at the end of the week.

thanksgiving Vocabulary
After using post-its on a simple Thanksgiving read aloud to model cross checking, children will complete one of the cross checking activity sheets.  Here they will work on sight words is and are and singular and plural.  They understand it more after you bring their attention to the fact that these are pattern sentences.  Then draw their attention to the word that is different.  Highlight the beginning sound with a yellow crayon to help find the vocabulary word.  They then cut and glue the matching picture next to the sentence.

Children also practice cross checking with 2 student readers and count how many letters are in each vocabulary word. 
Thanksgiving Games


I don't have pictures of the games yet but there are 6 games to help meet the different ability levels.  I need all 6 but you may not.  My parents will also play the games with the students and then they can play them independently.  They are set up to be played independently or with a partner.  I prefer the kids to play with a partner so they can learn from each other.   The card covers are pictured above but I'll post pictures of the games when I can.

We will be busy, busy, busy, but the children will have fun while learning important skills with hands on activities, games, and lessons.  If you think these activities will help you and your students you can find them HERE or you can click on the pictures.

My classroom will be changing again soon. Once I am updated on the situation and changes are made -I will update.  Happy WEEK before Thanksgiving break!




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There! Lets Keep in Touch!

* indicates required